Thursday, March 04, 2004

Canary in the Cage

Why are you so negative?
So pathetic, so tragic?
Always blue, always brooding,
you accuse me, my friend,
in your angry mail,
after reading a few of my
scribblings that I had mailed
to you.

You think our Indian society
is so bad ? you ask.
You are merely highlighting
a few random cases,
which are rare, and
not the norm, you say.
Our society is as good
and vibrant than most,
you asserted.
You need to get yourself
checked, you advised.

So had commented most of
my well wishers who
sometimes read my
ramblings
(if they had nothing else better
to read…).


I thought, all of you
people were perhaps right.
Maybe there was something
wrong with me.
And decided to see a
shrink…(seriously).

Until, I read about
a strange habit among miners,
in the beginning of the century.

They used to carry canaries
in cages everyday and
keep them in the mine floor
and work. If there was a build up
of heavy poisonous gas in the mine,
the canary would keel over and die.
That, was the sure sign for
the miners to quit for the day.
It had become too dangerous
to be around…

I feel like the canary.
Keep a careful watch on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home