Saturday, October 08, 2005

Voices

4.30 pm .My workers are sawing
some logs for the last couple
of hours, and only the last one is left.
It is the thickest of the lot.
All we have to do is cut it into two halves.
The prospect of finishing it off early and
heading back home is quite
exhilarating, as we can avoid the
excruciating evening rush hour traffic.
So, with renewed energy, the guys
attack the final frontier.
But to our surprise, after 15 mins of sawing,
we have not even cut through 3 inches .
A fresh crew exchange places,
and the work resumes.
5.00 pm. The jolly banterings has turned to
profane mutterings as we have reached only
half way and it is getting ominously
dark and cloudy and windy and cold.
“The saw teeth aren’t sharp enough,” grumbles one.
“Let’s turn the log and try from
the other side,” growls another.
“The angle of the cut isn’t correct,” grunts the third.
“Maybe its too dry,” grimaces the fourth.
“We should have an electric saw,” groans yet another.
I, say nothing. Because suddenly, I have
this eerie feeling. That the log is
not dead. That it is alive. That it
isn’t giving in so easily. That it
is fighting us with its every single grain as we
gutted it. Of course, I say nothing. Because,
opening my mouth with such pro log
sentiments is sure to get me into
serious physical trouble
with the already short fused surly crew.
While they sweat and swear and saw
for another half an hour, the shadows lengthen,
and I am silently and hopelessly
rooting more and more for the log,
even touched the wood, to wish it luck.
When it finally snaps
with a heart rending groan,
in the raucous whoopee of the
victorious men, I think
I heard a feeble cry of the dying.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ardra said...

I cant quite express what I want to say- becos, as I read these lines, it was like I "knew" the log was "alive"...and I can understand the words only in that perspective-
it happens to me somtimes...thoughts, words loom larger than reality -
ardra

7:54 PM  
Blogger Ardra said...

and Sig, I've a feeling becoming deaf would not silence the voices...
ardra

7:56 PM  
Blogger aria said...

I actually wanted to comment earlier but I still don't have proper words. Precisely coz its an amazingly touching poem!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Meenakshi said...

hi :) wowy lots to read !!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Maltova said...

Siggy,

While sometimes it is, in a refreshing way, good to keep your senses open to something that is'nt there, it would be good to be deaf.
If it was'nt for our control of thoughts, we'd turn into a mad race.

Nice one, btw !

2:21 AM  
Blogger Priyamvada_K said...

Sad in the literal sense, and in a symbolic one too. Not just wood, but just how many lives does the human kind destroy day by day? :(

Priya.

10:11 AM  
Blogger sigmund fraud said...

Dear Ardra, Aria, Meena, Malts, Priya,not forgetting Funnycide and Gentle (in DSS), thanx to all of you for all your kind words.

sigs

1:56 AM  
Blogger .m. said...

poor log :( but it didnt give up without fighting, admirable.

9:28 AM  
Blogger EATING POETRY said...

oh, this is so beautiful... and so sad... and not very shallow at all!

Thanks for coming by my blog, I see you added a link, I will peruse your blog a bit more and then shortly return the favor.

Later, ep

11:04 AM  
Blogger sigmund fraud said...

Wbix, where you been all these days? Nice to see you again !

EP, Thanx for dropping in. Enjoy.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home