Sunday, June 25, 2006

I once killed a poet

We crouch in the dark foxholes
afraid to breathe out loud.
The air raid siren is whining down
like it was burrowing into
the safety its own hole.
In the eerie silence, a child
cried somewhere and the mother yelled
“Shut up, or we’ll get bombed out.”
More sshh shhhing and then all of us
are scanning the moonless
cloudless starlit sky with trepidation.
How I wished I were a pilot shooting
down those bastards who made us tremble like
scared animals in the trenches past midnight.
“My grandmother says stars are the
eyes of our dear protectors,” she whispers.
If I could, I would have gouged
them out, to make myself less visible.
“But I think they are more like the
beating hearts of our dear fairies,” she says
clasping her hands together in a fervent prayer.
How I wished I were in the sky, fighting
the enemy instead of hearing such pansy stuffs here.
Someone coughs loudly and apologizes.
How long will it be before the all-clear
siren comes, I wonder, how long
will it be before I finish school and
get into the Air Force , how long…
“I think the moon is like…”
I pinch her budding breasts and she
winces in pain and shuts up. I can see
the glistening swell of tears in her
eyes as I return to the sky
to shoot the bastards down.

12 Comments:

Blogger Atrakasya said...

on a tangent - The poet that can be killed is not really a poet :)

What I find interesting is to see a poem come from a scenario that the poet has probably never experienced personally (do correct me if I am wrong - have you actually been in an air-raid?).
If not, then can I call it a vicarious poem?
Well written, though :)

12:52 AM  
Blogger Inkblot said...

yeah , makes you clench your teeth slowly and nod in dismay and understanding...nicely done.

3:12 AM  
Blogger asuph said...

hey ciggy,

loved the battle of the idelism and pragmatism, of two inherently conflicting worlviews. the wordplay is excellent. but at the same time, the poem seems like it was a deliberate experiment at style... was it?

asuph

10:46 PM  
Blogger ~River~ said...

Very well-written.
Liked the taut narrative style.

4:42 AM  
Blogger black rose said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:34 AM  
Blogger saltyfeline said...

LOLOL!



cheers,
Tasha

9:45 PM  
Blogger Gilbert Koh said...

Great poem, it really gets you inside the head of a child, yes?

7:23 PM  
Blogger bittersweet said...

hope all is well siggy..
take care,

Cheryl

8:00 PM  
Blogger Roxx said...

I really enjoyed it. You have a gift of imagery.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Waiting for more from you. THis poem is beyond any words I can possibly offer. Chilling, real, moving.

12:02 PM  
Blogger EATING POETRY said...

Wow! What a great poem. I love, love the name of it... and the conclusion is just perfect.

.... waiting for some new poems... c'mon June? Even I most more often than that!

7:40 PM  
Blogger ~River~ said...

Updates wanted!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home